Organic Goan Red Rice Description
Goan Red Rice is an exquisite tasting rice from the coastal state of Goa, specially milled to leave distinctive red streaks that give it its name.
Known commonly as Ukade rice, it is popular for its reddish color and thicker grains. Its unique firm texture and slightly nutty grains make it ideal with coconut milk based curries.
It is parboiled, meaning boiled in husk. Parboiling makes rice easier to process by hand, improves its nutritional profile, and changes its texture. However, because of the special processing, parboiled rice is a better source of fiber, calcium, potassium and vitamin B-6 than regular white rice.
Par boiled rice is a common variety of rice that has been pre-cooked with its husk before being dried again, its less sticky and conservers more of the nutrients which is good for a diabetic patient.
Goan red rice grain is cooked and served just as you would white or brown rice.
- Parboiled rice has Low Glycemic Index
- Rich source of B vitamins
- Keeps your stomach filled for a longer period as compared to other rice. So it keeps your appetite satisfied for longer.
- It’s a better source of fiber, calcium, potassium and vitamin B-6 than regular white rice
Why buy our product
Our Goan red rice is of a very high quality which is rich in iron, highly nutritious and rich in vitamins. More importantly, unlike conventional white rice, red rice helps in maintaining your blood sugar levels at a healthy mark. This is primarily due to the low starch content in red rice.
How to use
- Wash rice a couple of times
- Soak it for about 20-30 minutes
- Boil the rice in water, when the water comes to rolling boil add a little salt (optional)
- Cook till the rice is soft
- Drain the water completely using a sieve
- Serve alongside your favorite curry.
Recipe Idea Goan Boiled Rice (Ukadem Xitt) By Hilda Mascarenhas