Serves: 4 Scoops
Prep time: 45m
I scream, you scream, whey all scream for Whey protein ice cream! Ice cream is a mixture of milk, cream, sugar, and sometimes other ingredients that has been frozen into a soft, creamy delight using special techniques. Ice cream is the go to dessert in our home – rain, hail or shine! But the store bought flavours tend to get monotonous after a while. Well, when that happened I decided to experiment. So I decided to use whey protein as my ingredient. I wanted to get some superfood goodness while also indulging my sweet tooth at the same time.
This recipe requires about 75 gram of whey protein powder, so you get approximately 59 gram of protein. That is if you eat all the ice cream in one sitting ;). If you are working out and want to have your protein in a different way, then this is the whey for you (see what I did there?!). If your kid is a picky eater, then just add his/her favorite fruits, nuts and seeds to this whey protein ice cream.
Since the whey protein powder I used is unflavoured, it doesn’t alter the original taste that the fruits render to this frozen dessert. Besides, it is free of any preservatives, fillers or thickeners. I was free to add any flavours that I could think of, but I decided to go with vanilla, because…baby steps! You can try with caramel, butterscotch and many more flavours! You can even add two flavours at the same time, but add equal quantities. The ice cream turned out great. We managed to lick the blender clean after the ice cream went to the freezer to set. We have used coconut milk as an alternative to milk because it is lactose intolerant. And for normal sugar we have substituted with coconut sugar, as a more healthier alternative.
Here I have tried whey protein ice cream with banana and whey protein ice cream with strawberries. You can try it with any fruits of your choice. We would love to hear how yours turned out (Psst.. I am going to try chocolate ice cream next!)
Fun fact: It is said that it takes 50 licks to finish a single scoop of ice cream. Let’s go find out!
- 5 Tablespoons Whey Protein Un-adulterated
- 3 Tablespoons Raw Acacia Honey ( Honey of Kashmir )
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 Bananas, fresh, peeled and frozen
- 1 1/2 Cup Strawberries, fresh and frozen
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- For the banana and whey protein ice cream, roughly slice up the bananas. Add them to a blender along with 2 1/2 tablespoons whey protein powder, 1/4 cup coconut milk, 2 tablespoons honey and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Blend for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and blend again, till you get a smooth, creamy texture. Freeze for 30 minutes and then scoop out. We have used goji berries here as a topping. You can use any berries and nuts of your choice. Your banana and whey protein ice cream is now ready.
- Now for the strawberry whey protein ice cream. Roughly chop up the strawberries. (Save a few for toppings.) Add them to a blender along with 2 1/2 tablespoons whey protein powder, 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Blend for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and blend again, till you get a smooth, creamy texture. Freeze for 30 minutes and then scoop out. Top with sliced strawberries and chocolate sauce. You can just keep looking at that luscious, pink colour! Or pounce right on it!